2011. augusztus 1., hétfő

Kapcsolatkeresés - Raspberry Pi

Dear Raspberry Team,

I am Lorand Kedves, sw architect from Hungary. I am more than excited about your project, which I consider as a start of a new era of IT, being super small and super modular, and of course I would be very happy to buy one as soon as it will be available.

As a programmer I work on a similar "hobby-project" for almost two decades, making the software just as modular as your R-Pi makes the "hardware", building a minimal configurable runtime core and independent modules. Although I am still in the "sandbox-phase", you can see some of the codes and docs here: https://github.com/MondoAurora/DustFramework

In order to convince you about not being yet another vaporware-author (besides the GitHub stuff), I attach my official (bit outdated) CV, and some configuration files of a working test of my framework, tailored for a failed company project (this is a desktop client, a server that runs in a Tomcat appserver, the Access control loads the user rights data from MySQL tables; the whole framework that uses these files is a less than 100k jar).

I would like to use the R-Pi as the primary hardware when I finally will switch to OS-independent C development (and later OS-less by writing direct HW modules). If you see my project interesting, or see a chance for cooperation (that could emerge dust project from "a hobby project on hold" state), please contact me. Anyways, I want to make stuff like this run on an R-Pi, without Java, and finally without any OS!

Thanks for the patience
 Lorand Kedves


Interesting stuff. RP should make a pretty good target for this sort of system; if you want to run a bare-metal OS it's very easy to replace the kernel image with something of your own devising. 

Thanks. I don't want to waste too much of your time, only if you are really interested, but I'd like to show you my ideas.

I plan to finish my current work on my Java framework (to which the last configuration files belong to) within a half year and try to sell it (with limited time on support and consulting) at a price that would allow me to continue dust framework for a few years. Dust is not and will never be business, it is my "non-profit stuff", I have a one-man-foundation to have its ownership, and if it works, to control its use.

When I turn back to dust framework, I think I will know enough to switch the whole project to C language. As you can see, I handle all components (from a database query to a UserRole) with the same type management and messaging tools, and this is used further when writing the component code. This does not stop here, I will wrap up the hardware components (from the memory or hardware drivers to GUI rendering and message dispatching). At the bottom I have two options: use an existing operating system and roughly saying wrap up the standard C runtime and libraries in components (this alone makes the runtime "OS-independent"); or work without an OS, create those modules alone and write them on hardware level. The latter approach is tough, requires 50-100% more work, but I think that gives a better understanding of the topic, a better internal structure and lack of unwanted dependencies, so I would like to follow this way.

So I need a hardware platform to use, and tons of documentation, sometimes extensive direct support on hardware problems. In a generic case, this support would cost me signing lots of non disclosure agreements and serious hardware locks to make it worth to the hardware manufacturer - which is against my final goal. However, as far as I see, RP is a different case: it is not aimed to "beat the competition and win a lot of money", but to emerge the informatics to another level (this is my aim, too).

I think our motivations can be parallel. RP is not a competitive product when compared to current hardware and runs current software, which are designed to use (or more precisely: waste) the enormous power of the new machines. I think we (if you accept this partnership) should build a new playground to prove that the RP power is more than enough for any reasonable use from communication and entertainment to software development (I remember working on much weaker machines than RP, it was not that bad at all).

I don't want you to put serious efforts in this story right now, I myself can't promise too much currently.
I surely will buy 2 dev boards when available, and I would like you to help me in bringing up the development environment, and documentations on the lowest level. Sorry, I am a newbie here, but I want to start up fast, and I think I learn fast too (it took me a few weeks to write ZigBee codes in Ember devkit with zero previous knowledge). When I have something to put on the table, we can discuss the progress.
Can you do this for me? I can log my findings for you or public use if you like - although my speed will depend on how much spare time I will have for this...

Please tell me your opinion about this (I prefer early NO to nothing or PC rubbish).



Erre már nem kaptam választ.